Oysters Poached in Champagne
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) scallions, julienne cut
- 50 ml (1/4) cup sweet red peppers, julienne cut
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) chopped parsley
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dry mustard
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) chervil
- 15 ml (1 tsp) black peppercorns
- 500 ml (2 cups) champagne or sparkling wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) washed spinach leaves
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil or clarified butter
- 32 oysters on-the-half-shell
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the lemon zest in cold water and heat or poach one minute to remove the bitterness. Drain and reserve. Combine the oysters and liquor, champagne, parsley, mustard, chervil and peppercorns in a pan and poach for 1 minute. Remove oysters and place in the shells which have been positioned on serving plates.
Over medium heat, reduce the poaching liquid to 1 cup and spoon over oysters. While cooking saute the spinach, scallions, lemon zest and peppers in olive oil or butter for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan by pouring in lemon juice and seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide vegetables and serve beside the oysters with lemon juice served over.