Tourism Directional Signage
All signage visible from the highways of Prince Edward Island highways is regulated according to the Highway Signage Act. Standards ensure that signage provides consistent and concise wayfinding for the traveling public and protects the landscape of the province. Only tourism business, defined as accommodations, attractions, eating establishments, recreation sites, craft and gift shops, shopping malls and gas stations are eligible for Tourism Directional Signage.
Direction Sign and Location
Tourism directional signs (TDS) are 45 cm (1.5 feet) high and 210 cm (7 feet) long. All TDS are placed on government standards at intersections within 15 kilometres of your business and must indicate a turn is necessary. Your business name, an arrow, the distance in kilometers and a corresponding symbol are displayed in reflective white letters on a blue background. The establishment name portion must not exceed 24 characters, including spaces between words. Tourism PEI staff will assist with possible locations, symbols and wording after you apply.
The cost for each new tourism directional sign is $160 each, plus HST. The annual renewal fee is $60 each plus HST. The cost for any wording change to an existing sign is $100 each, plus HST.
Please consider the following when applying for tourism directional signs:
- Maximum number of signs per business is four.
- An accommodation license must be approved before your sign application will be reviewed.
- Allow one to two weeks for processing.
- There are limits to the number of sign standards and a maximum of three signs per standard at each intersection approach.
- If the requested sign locations or options are not available, a refund will be issued. You can ask to be put on the waiting list and you’ll be informed of your position and those businesses ahead of you.
- Payment, including HST, must accompany your application.
Have questions or need assistance?
PO Box 2000, Charlottetown PE C1A 7N8
Email: [email protected]