Taste our Island Award
Congratulations to The Inn at Bay Fortune, winners of the 2016 Taste Our Island Award
The Inn at Bay Fortune Chef Michael Smith, winner of the 2016 Taste Our Island Award, is Prince Edward Island’s food ambassador and a long-time advocate of the province’s incredible food culture. In 2015 Michael and his wife Chastity became proprietors of his alma mater, The Inn at Bay Fortune.
Chef Michael’s Fire Brigade creates a new menu daily from their own organic farm, herb gardens and a roster of PEI farmers, fishers, foragers, and culinary artisans. The Feast starts with Oyster Hour, an interactive exploration of the properties grounds, farm, and gardens including an all-you-can-slurp Oyster Bar and the day’s flavours from outdoor fire-pits, smokehouse, and farm. The Feast itself is served family style at long butcher- block tables overlooking Bay Fortune. The menu always includes freshly baked wood-oven bread, smoked fish, seafood chowder, their famous farm salad, local meats, fish and vegetables, all 100% prepared interactively over live fire.
The Fireworks Feast
Chef Michael Smith and his wife Chastity re-launched the historic Inn at Bay Fortune, where he cooked in the 1990s, with a five-star focus and the creation of one of the world’s most unique farm-to-fire-to-fork culinary experiences, The Fireworks Feast.
The Taste Our Island Award is presented annually to a PEI restaurant that achieves an outstanding level of excellence while using and promoting local products. For more information, please visit www.peiadapt.com
Taste Our Island Award - Past Winners
- 2015 - The Mill - Owned by Chef Emily Wells, and winner of the coveted 2015 Taste Our Island Award, the restaurant is located in a beautifully restored grain mill in the heart of New Glasgow farming country and near the fishing harbours of North Rustico.
- 2014 - Shaw's Hotel & Restaurant won the 2014 PEI Adapt Council's "Taste our Island" Award. Striving to produce fabulous food in concert with the region's agricultural season, the partnership of fourth-generation hotelier Robbie Shaw and chef extraordinaire Peter Angus has taken the concept to a whole new level. Shaw's Hotel & Restaurant is open from early June to late September, and is located at 99 Apple Tree Road, overlooking the bay in Brackley Beach.
- 2013 - Terre Rouge-Bistro Marche - located on Queen Street in downtown Charlottetown and is fully licenced with changing seasonal menus, all produced in-house by renowned chefs Dave Mottershall and John Pritchard. The marche offers a full selection of charcuterie, rotisserie, preserves, breads, and desserts.
- 2012 - The Inn at Bay Fortune - The restaurant is renowned for its menu that includes seafood, meats and a Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. The Inn at Bay Fortune is located 45 minutes east of Charlottetown.
- 2011 - Papa Joe's - Papa Joe's menu changes with the availability of the seasons, but the family's ongoing passion for freshness, beautifully seasoned seafood, meats, and some of the tastiest comfort cuisine, remains constant. Papa Joe's restaurant is located at 345 University Avenue in Charlottetown.
- 2010 - The Pearl - The Pearl welcomes guests to its rusticelegant, art-filled dining room, and nourishes them with unforgettable food and drink. The building itself has been completely renovated with paintings, sculpture, fixtures, and furnishings from all over PEI.
- 2009 - Victoria Village Inn - At the Victoria Village Inn, dining guests can meet the chef who prepared their grilled Atlantic salmon, pan roasted chicken breast, or Argyle Shore green salad.
- 2008 - Merchantman Pub - In 2008 Chef Shirleen Peardon and Pub owner Peter Hyndman fulfilled their goal of creating a menu that is made up of 100 percent local foods. Here's a sample of what appeared on the award-winning menu: PEI Colville Bay Oysters, North Shore Halibut, Island Striploin, Seared Sea Scallops, and of course PEI Blue Mussels.
- 2007 - The Maplethorpe Cafe