Taste our Island Award
Congratulations to The Table Culinary Studio, winners of the 2017 Taste Our Island Award
For an exquisite dining experience that embraces the heart and soul of the Island, head for The Table Culinary Studio in New London where fabulous cuisine combines with local food to give you the very best. Located in a beautiful converted church overlooking farmers’ fields, The Table is the winner of the 2017 Taste Our Island Award.
Chef/Owner Derrick Hoare, Chef Michael Bradley and Event Planner Christine Morgan bring you exciting experiential cuisine dedicated to using local foods grown and harvested on PEI. During the day, The Table offers hands-on culinary classes that teach cooking techniques and helps immerse visitors in the food and traditions of PEI through interactive demonstrations and trips to local farms and harbours.
At night, The Table is transformed into an intimate Island restaurant, filling the old church with tantalizing aromas and the sound of shared stories and enjoyment as guests gather together around the large harvest table and share a family-style meal and evening’s entertainment.
Chef Derrick says the Island is a place where friends and family gather around the kitchen table. “That sense of gathering and belonging is what we strive to achieve when you visit us.” Come join the folks at The Table in the kitchen or around the table for an Island experience you won’t forget.
2017 Taste our Island Award semi-finalists
- POLEHOUSE CAFE - (Cardigan Market) Lunch with fine coffees and rustic delights created with seasonal ingredients by Chef Leif Hammarlund. 902-940-7007
- SIMS CORNER - (Charlottetown) Chef Kyle Panton combines artistry and elegance with a down-to-earth approach to food. www.simscorner.ca
- MY PLUM, MY DUCK - (Charlottetown) Chef Sarah Forrester-Wendt offers the Island’s first macrobiotic whole foods restaurant. Fresh, local and organic. 902-370-2070
- DUNES CAFÉ - (Brackley) Chef Norman Day creates a tantalizing menu surrounded by the artwork and creations of the Dunes Studio Gallery. www.dunesgallery.com
- PAPA JOE’S - (Charlottetown) Chef Irwin MacKinnon draws from PEI’s bountiful land and sea to create world flavours with local ingredients. 902-566-5070
- MILL IN NEW GLASGOW - (New Glasgow) Owner Chef Emily Wells is passionate about healthy local food and ethical food production. 902-569-9343
- EDEN’S GATE - (Georgetown) Chef Bobbi Jo MacLean’s wide- ranging and diverse menu features delicious meals at affordable prices. www.edensgateinc.com
The Taste Our Island Award is presented annually to a PEI restaurant that achieves an outstanding level of excellence while using and promoting local products. For more information, please visit www.peiadapt.com
Taste Our Island Award - Past Winners
- 2016 - The Inn at Bay Fortune Chef Michael Smith is Prince Edward Island’s food ambassador and a long-time advocate of the province’s incredible food culture. In 2015 Michael and his wife Chastity became proprietors of his alma mater, The Inn at Bay Fortune.
- 2015 - The Mill - Owned by Chef Emily Wells, and winner of the coveted 2015 Taste Our Island Award, the restaurant is located in a beautifully restored grain mill in the heart of New Glasgow farming country and near the fishing harbours of North Rustico.
- 2014 - Shaw's Hotel & Restaurant won the 2014 PEI Adapt Council's "Taste our Island" Award. Striving to produce fabulous food in concert with the region's agricultural season, the partnership of fourth-generation hotelier Robbie Shaw and chef extraordinaire Peter Angus has taken the concept to a whole new level. Shaw's Hotel & Restaurant is open from early June to late September, and is located at 99 Apple Tree Road, overlooking the bay in Brackley Beach.
- 2013 - Terre Rouge-Bistro Marche - located on Queen Street in downtown Charlottetown and is fully licensed with changing seasonal menus, all produced in-house by renowned chefs Dave Mottershall and John Pritchard. The marche offers a full selection of charcuterie, rotisserie, preserves, breads, and desserts.
- 2012 - The Inn at Bay Fortune - The restaurant is renowned for its menu that includes seafood, meats and a Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. The Inn at Bay Fortune is located 45 minutes east of Charlottetown.
- 2011 - Papa Joe's - Papa Joe's menu changes with the availability of the seasons, but the family's ongoing passion for freshness, beautifully seasoned seafood, meats, and some of the tastiest comfort cuisine, remains constant. Papa Joe's restaurant is located at 345 University Avenue in Charlottetown.
- 2010 - The Pearl - The Pearl welcomes guests to its rustic elegant, art-filled dining room, and nourishes them with unforgettable food and drink. The building itself has been completely renovated with paintings, sculpture, fixtures, and furnishings from all over PEI.
- 2009 - Victoria Village Inn - At the Victoria Village Inn, dining guests can meet the chef who prepared their grilled Atlantic salmon, pan roasted chicken breast, or Argyle Shore green salad.
- 2008 - Merchantman Pub - In 2008 Chef Shirleen Peardon and Pub owner Peter Hyndman fulfilled their goal of creating a menu that is made up of 100 percent local foods. Here's a sample of what appeared on the award-winning menu: PEI Colville Bay Oysters, North Shore Halibut, Island Striploin, Seared Sea Scallops, and of course PEI Blue Mussels.
- 2007 - The Maplethorpe Cafe