image
image

Home / THINGS TO DO / Scenic Drives / Lighthouses /

Lighthouses

West Point
(height: 20.6 metres)

West Point Lighthouse, constructed in 1875, was the first of the second generation lighthouses on Prince Edward Island. The reconstructed gable-roofed lighthouse keeper's house with lean-to storage provides an example common among lighthouses of this style.

Combining distinctive architecture, folklore, shipwrecks, and dramatic scenery on the western entrance of the Northumberland Strait, the West Point Lighthouse began a second career as a lighthouse museum, country inn, restaurant and craftshop in 1984.

Victoria Rangelight
(height: 10.7 metres)

Victoria, once one of the Island's busiest seaports, has the only Island rangelight which houses two different lights. Built in 1879, it serves as both Leard's Front Range and the Palmer's Back Range.

The Victoria Seaport Museum, opened in 1990, houses a collection of photographs outlining the development of the seaport and the history of former keepers.

Wood Islands
(height: 15.2 metres)

This lighthouse, which began operation in 1876 to aid Marine traffic in the Northumberland Strait and fishing boats in and around Wood Islands, has an attached six-room, two-storey dwelling for the keeper and his family.

It is adjacent to the Northumberland Ferries Limited docks, is open daily for tours and houses a nautical craft shop and the Fishery and Coast Guard Museum.

Cape Bear
(height: 12.4 metres)

The Cape Bear lighthouse was built in 1881 and houses one of seven Marconi Wireless Stations established by Marine and Fisheries in 1905-06.

It was here that Thomas Bartlett heard the first distress signal from the Titanic as it sank off Newfoundland. Today, a museum stands on the original site of the Marconi Station.

Point Prim
(height: 18.2 metres)

Built in 1846, Point Prim is Prince Edward Island's oldest lighthouse and marks the entrance to Hillsborough Bay, at the outer approaches to Charlottetown Harbour on the southern side of the Island.

Point Prim is one of the few lighthouse of brick constructed in Canada. Though now covered with wooden shingles, the brick construction may be viewed from the interior.

Panmure Head
(height: 17.6 metres)

The Panmure Head Lighthouse on Panmure Island, at the southwest extremity of Cardigan Bay, was built in 1853 and marks the entrance to Georgetown Harbour.

Panmure Head boasts one of the first fog alarms in the area and has safely guided many schooners, steamers and years of fishing traffic.

East Point
(height: 19.5 metres)

East Point Lighthouse is situated on the extreme eastern end of Prince Edward Island where the mighty tides of the St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait meet to create a show of nature's force.

As one of the Island's itinerant lighthouses, the East Point Lighthouse has been moved several times due to poor positioning of the light and continuing erosion of the coastline. Today, the old fog alarm building houses crafts and an interpretive centre.

For a full list of Prince Edward Island's lighthouses and to print a lighthouse map, click here.

Learn about the Lighthouse Lover's Tour