Dark Chocolate and Stout Custard with Vanilla bean whipped cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup Upstreet Black Tie Affair Vanilla Cranberry Stout
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped finely
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp (1 shot) espresso or strong coffee
1 vanilla bean pod (scrape out and save the seeds)
A pinch of fine sea salt
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch 2 tablespoons cold water
For the whipped cream:
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
The seeds from one vanilla bean pod
1. In a heavy-bottomed large pot, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, stout and heavy cream until combined. Set the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
2. Take the pot off the heat and add the finely-chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, vanilla bean and salt. Whisk until the chocolate melts and the cocoa powder is completely dissolved.
3. Mix cornstarch and cold water in a bowl with a fork until completely dissolved, then add to the chocolate mixture.
4. Place the pan back over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, scraping the sides and the bottom of the pan to prevent burning, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Let the mixture cool slightly, then divide between 6 ramekins and chill in the refrigerator until set, about 1 hour.
6. To make the whipped cream, pour the whipping cream into a medium bowl. Add the vanilla bean seeds, then mix with a hand mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, then keep mixing until stiff peaks form. Top each chocolate custard with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder. Makes 6 portions. Enjoy!
Recipe by Chef Erin Henry