Location: Appin Road (Two roads form a rough "T" shape in southwestern Queens County. The northern section of the Appin Road (Rte. 237) reaches almost to Rte. 249. The McKenna Road runs from the Appin Road in a westerly direction to Rte. 246, forming the left arm of the "T".)
The upper arms of the road travel through a tremendous variety of hardwoods and softwoods that form a light to extensive canopy. This provides a wonderful "cooling" effect especially enjoyed by farmers leaving hot dusty fields. Ground vegetation, including wood ferns and fire weeds, competes for space along the roadside. The southern section is somewhat less wooded but is quite winding and hilly, with views of open farmland and spruce stands. The Appin Road was built in 1862. Its name probably is derived from Strath of Appin, Perthshire, or Appin, Argyleshire, Scotland. The McKenna Road, constructed in 1904, is named for Hugh McKenna, a property owner in the area. It now serves as a shortcut from Emyvale to Rte. 246. These roads form part of an interesting network of clay lanes in southwestern Queens County offering a wide variety of bordering vegetation -- a wonderful place for a peaceful ramble through the countryside.