- Acadian Meat Pie
- Beef Stew with Red Wine and Roasted Root Vegetables
- Cows Creamery Grilled Cheese and Smoked Bacon Sandwich
- Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Shallots and Tomatoes
- Honey Roast Turkey with Gravy - Chef Michael Smith
- Lemon Chicken with Ginger
- Meat Loaf
- Orange Glazed PEI Pork Tenderloin
- PEI Pork Cashew Stir-Fry
- Roast Turkey with Potato Dressing
- Sweet 'N' Sour Spareribs
- The Pearl Black Garlic Braised Beef
- Whole Grain Stuffing - Chef Michael Smith
- Creamy Potato Mappas (PEI Potato in coconut milk and gentle spices, Kerala style)
- PEI Turkey Meatballs with Spiced Apple Chutney
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
Beef Stew with Red Wine and Roasted Root Vegetables
Courtesy of Flavours of Prince Edward Island cookbook
3 Tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
3 lb (1.5 kg) stewing meat (large dice)
3 lb (1.5 kg) Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled, medium dice)
1 lb (500g) white button mushrooms (quartered)
2 medium red onions (small dice)
1 red bell pepper (small dice)
2 Tbsp (30 ml) chopped garlic
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh rosemary
2 cups (500 ml) red wine
8 cups (2 L) beef stock
Roasted Root Vegetables
2 medium parsnips (peeled, medium dice)
2 medium carrots (peeled, medium dice)
½ medium turnip (peeled, medium dice)
½ medium butternut squash (peeled, medium dice)
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped assorted fresh herbs (your preference)
vegetable spice blend
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil
For the stew, preheat a large stew pot with oil and sear the beef until it turns a rich brown colour. Remove the meat from the pot and add the potatoes, button mushrooms, red onions, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Return the meat to the pot and stir in the chopped rosemary. Deglaze with the red wine, reducing the liquid by half. Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are just cooked through.
Adjust the seasoning of the stew as it cooks. Simmer for about 1 hour, then remove the beef from the pot. Reduce the liquid by half, season to taste and return the beef to the pot. Keep hot until the root vegetables are ready.
Meanwhile, prepare the root vegetables.
Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the parsnips, carrots, turnip, butternut squash, fresh herbs, spice blend and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and toss with enough olive oil to coat everything evenly. Transfer the vegetables to the prepared baking sheet. Roast the vegetables for 20 to 30 minutes. Add to the stew before serving and toss well.
Serve this dish family-style -- that is, place the stew in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves!