Creamed Mussles on Toast
Serve mussels in this tasty cream sauce for a late morning brunch or a light supper.
- 2 cups/500 ml cooked, shucked mussels
- 1/4 cup/50 ml butter
- 1/4 cup/50 ml flour
- 2 tsp/10 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp/5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup/40 ml green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup/125 ml mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups/500 ml blend (cream)
- 1/2 tsp/2 ml salt
- 1/4 tsp/1 ml pepper
- 4 bread slices
Melt butter; blend in flour, lemon juice and Worcestershire cause. Add green onion and mushrooms and saute until tender. Pour in blend slowly, stirring until slightly thickened. Add mussels; stir until hot, then season with salt and pepper. Toast bread and cut each slice diagonally twice to make toast points. Serve mussels rimmed with toast and garnished with green onion. Serves 4.