Rustico Rhubarb Punch
Ingredients for syrup
4 cups fresh rhubarb chopped small (washed)
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
295 ml can frozen lemonade concentrate
1 litre club soda or lemon-lime soft drink (sugar-free)
Fresh fruit of choice and fresh mint (optional)
- Cover chopped rhubarb with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until softened.
- Remove from heat.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean pot. Discard the pulp.
- Add sugar and return to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat & let cool completely. Store in a mason jar for several weeks in the refrigerator or freeze.
- When ready to serve, combine rhubarb syrup and pink lemonade concentrate in a large jug and mix.
- Pour into a punch bowl. Add club soda or soft drink to taste.
- Garnish as desired.
A traditional Prince Edward Island punch may also include a spirit, such as rum, to taste.