Warm PEI Mussel Cucumber Salad
Courtesy of Canada's Food Island
Chef Krista MacQuarrie
- 2 lb PEI Mussels, cleaned & beard removed
- 1 tsp Lime zest
- ¼ cup Lime juice, freshly squeezed (3-4 limes)
- ¼ cup Mirin rice wine
- 1 tsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 Lemongrass stalk,sliced diagonally 1/8-inch thick
- 3 Scallions, sliced diagonally 1/8-inch thick
- 2 Seedless cucumbers, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- To taste Salt
- To taste Pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro, sliced (for garnish)
1. Place pot over medium heat. Add the lime zest and juice, mirin, fish sauce, lemongrass, and scallions; stir to combine.
2. Bring to a simmer; add the mussels. Cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally until the mussels have opened, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and discard any unopened mussels.
3. Stir in the cucumber and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm topped with a garnish of sliced cilantro.