Impress guests when you serve mussels on the half shell! Prepare the mussels and the breadcrumb mixture before guests arrive, then put them together just before serving.
- 36 mussels in the shell
- 1/4 cup/50 ml lemon juice
- 2 tbsp/25 ml finely chopped green onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp/25 ml finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups/500 ml fresh, finely chopped bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp/2 ml salt
- 1/8 tsp/0.5 ml pepper
- 1/4 cup/50 ml melted butter
Simmer mussels until they open. Drain and remove top half of the mussel shell. Sprinkle lemon juice over each mussel. Cover each with about 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) of the breadcrumb mixture. Broil 5 to 7 minutes.