I have a long list of my must-sees, but some family-friendly recommendations include:
- A visit to the West Point Lighthouse and a climb to the top of the museum for an amazing view of West Point and the surrounding wind turbines. http://westpointharmony.com/
- Heading to North Cape to walk out on the longest natural rock reef in North America. When the tide is low you can walk for over a kilometre and there are other great attractions at the complex. http://www.northcape.ca/
- A great new stop is the Village Musical Acadien where there is lots of musical programming including an interactive display where the kids can learn to fiddle. http://villagemusical.com/
- Green Gable Alpacas is a great family destination where Janet will give you a guided tour of her Alpaca farm and the kids can interact with the alpacas. http://www.greengablealpacas.com/
- A must have photo would be at the Canadian Potato Museum in front of the giant potato and be sure to try a potato-inspired dinner at the PEI Potato Country Kitchen. www.canadianpotatomuseum.com
If experiences are more your style some family friendly ones include:
- Bunny Wool Art where you can pet a long-haired Angora bunny and make a craft with the fur (http://search.tourismpei.com/search/OperatorDetails/name/BunnyWoolArt/op_id/7984/) .
- Deep Sea Fishing is always a hit with my kids and Matthew’s Deep Sea Fishing (http://www.matthewsdeepseafishing.ca/) or Waypoint ’04 Marine Adventures (http://www.giantbluefintuna.com/) are both great options.
When dining within the area there are a number of great options and some of my go-to locations include the Hernwood Dining Room at the Rodd Mill River Resort, the Northport Pier Restaurant, the Catch Kitchen and Bar and La Trappe in Abrams-Village.
I would recommend planning a day at the beach, whether it’s supervised beaches at a provincial park like Jacques Cartier or West Point or finding a dirt road and seeing where it ends either are great options.
When travelling west of Summerside I would encourage you to pick up a North Cape Coastal Drive Touring Guide at a local Visitor Information Centre or viewing it only at http://northcapedrive.com/touring-guide/ for a more comprehensive list of options.
Have a great trip!